Archive for Feet
I would like to paint a picture for you.
You are getting on the plane and you sit down at your first class seat, and you just wanna relax and get to your destination. The guy next to you is trying to have a conversation with you. You got your IPad sitting on your lap and you act like you don’t even hear him.
You look across the way and there is a empty seat across from you and the guy is sitting alone, and your thinking how lucky that guy is to have a empty seat next to him. The guy shouts a little louder and says “Hi” my name is James. You are thinking all I want to do is relax and sleep on this four hour flight.
This brings me to the title of this post. What if that guy or gal was the change you needed in your business? What if it was the person who was going to help establish a relationship with somebody who had been trying to do business with for along time. I believe you see where I’m going with this.
We have the ability to create our own luck, but we miss the opportunity every time out of either fear to speak, or we never learned how to have good conversation; or what I call the art of small talk.
Five Things you can do to open up conversations in the art of small talk.
- Don’t make it more complicated in your mind. Throwing out easy topics like family, occupation, recreation and etc. It so easy to start a conversation. Ask them if they seen that new latest hottest movie or etc. Just get them talking in general.
- When your using small talk, look for common interest that will keep the conversation going, and maybe even form a bond.
- Keep throwing topics and subjects until something really clicks with that person, but don’t make the mistake of going deep into religion, politics, and etc. Stay away from the deep stuff, we are just talking about small talk here.
- It’s very important to respond to the conversation, don’t just say yes and no and two word answers. If you do, that person will shut down and think you are not interested in talking with them.
- Put people at ease and try to make them feel comfortable by just having a good old conversation. I believe a lot of people have lost touch of just sparking up a old fashion conversation that could lead to so many great things down the road.
Food for thought, I hope it helps you build a successful business.
I’m little winded in this video, but when you are jogging straight up a mountain that is about 90% angle, you would be too.